Skip navigation

Innovation as a matter of tradition

1865 Master tinsmith Jakob Eberspächer founds a workshop in Esslingen am Neckar, which soon specializes in metal-framed roof glazing.

1894 His son, Adolf Eberspächer becomes the second generation to join the family business.

1899 The company's founder dies. His wife, Friederike takes over the reins.

1900 The first electrically powered machines are used; the staff increases to 80 employees.

1906 Dr. Paul Eberspächer, the founder's second son, joins the family business.

1913 The first international subsidiary is founded in Vienna.

1914 The factory starts operating on the site of the present-day plant in Esslingen.

1925 The number of employees grows to 350. The company produces glass roofs for factory halls, railway stations and airship hangars across Europe.

1928 Glass construction subsidiaries open in the Czech Republic, Poland and Italy.

1929 Eberspächer starts work on the glazing of the Milan railway station.
1931 Production of mufflers for automobiles begins.

1933 The company starts developing vehicle heating systems.

1934 Work begins at the headquarters in Esslingen on the new construction of a second factory section; the workforce grows to 700 employees.

1935 Dr. Richard Eberspächer becomes the third generation to join the company.

1938 Richard's brother Walter joins Eberspächer.

1939-1945 Eberspächer is integrated into the armaments industry by the Nazi regime and like many other companies is assigned forced laborers. During the war, aircraft engine parts are also manufactured here for the first time.

1945 After World War II, Helmut Eberspächer, a cousin of Richard and Walter, joins the company.

1946 Eberspächer produces products such as prosthesis, metal cases and small cookers during the post-war emergency.

1947 Work begins in Esslingen on turbochargers.

1950 Dr. Richard Eberspächer dies in an accident.

1953 Pre-heaters go into mass production.

1954 The one millionth muffler comes off the manufacturing line in Esslingen.

1960 Eberspächer takes over the Neunkirchen metal works in the Saarland and sets up a muffler production facility there.
1965 The company celebrates its 100th birthday and sees a turnover of DM 100 million. Hans Eberspächer becomes the fourth generation of the family to join the company.

1973 Eberspächer establishes Espar Products in Canada as an independent sales company for heaters.

1974 Dr. Günter Baumann, another member of the fourth generation, joins the company. Series production of catalytic converters for passenger cars starts.

1975 A technological breakthrough is made in the form of the legendary "B1L": It is the first vehicle heater which can be installed directly in the passenger compartment. At the same time, Eberspächer brings the first remote controls onto the market.

1977 Eberspächer establishes a subsidiary in Great Britain.

1978 Development of particulate filters for passenger cars begins.
In the 1980s Eberspächer invests intensively in internationalization: production facilities are established in Sweden, France and Switzerland.

1983 The Federal German government adopts exhaust emission standards, which necessitate the use of catalytic converters.

1988 Work starts on the construction of the new Research & Development Center in Esslingen.

1990 The company celebrates its 125th anniversary.

In the 90s Eberspächer establishes further subsidiaries in South Africa, the Czech Republic, the U.S., England, Brazil and Poland.

1999 The electrical auxiliary heaters of the catem subsidiary go into series production. The company rises quickly to become the world market leader.

2000 Martin Peters becomes the fifth generation to join the company. The company turnover climbs to DM 2.5 billion.
In the 2000s The global presence is expanded consistently, including India, China, Russia, Korea and Japan.

2002/03 The Research & Development Center in Detroit and the Eberspächer North America catalytic converter plant come on stream.

2004 Heinrich Baumann, another member of the fifth generation, joins Eberspächer. The company positions itself as a 100 percent automotive parts supplier and initiates the separation of the glass construction business.

2005 At the IAA, Eberspächer presents a completely new type of technology for sound absorption and design, based on antisound principles.

2008 Eberspächer offers development tools for electronic networking with automobile bus systems for the first time.

2009 The company turnover plummets 40 percent as a result of the global economic crisis. At the Geneva Motor Show, Eberspächer presents heaters for electric vehicles.

2010 The company enters the bus and coach air-conditioning market. The first high-voltage heaters for electric vehicles go into production.

2015 Eberspächer looks back proudly on 150 years of company history.

2017 The company is represented in 28 countries with around 70 locations.